The area of Warta Mouth National Park is uninhabited. During many years the wide valley of Warta River remained a swampy and inaccessible place for human. Concurrently, the floodlands were a real “wall” protecting against enemies and also a source of food for local settlers. Thus, until today, remained numerous traces of former inhabitants, now frequently considered monuments.
What is worth seeing near Warta Mouth National Park?
Ruins of town and stronghold Kostrzyn. Known also as “Pompeii of Kostrzyn”. Currently, you may see here the town’s urban system with visible squares and streets limits. In the area of the town preserved ruins of a castle an St.Mary’s parish church and partly the stronghold. You can visti bastions “Król”, “Brandenburgia”,”Filip”, fragments of curtain wall and ravelin “August Wilhelm” and gates “Berlin” and “Chyrzań”. There is tourist information in the restored Brama Berlińska. You can find more information about the former stronghold at www.muzeum.kostrzyn.pl/
Ring stronghold. Is composed of forts build around The Kostrzyn Old Town Stronghold. There are 3 at the Polish side: Żabice, Czarnów, and Sarbinowo. The biggest and the most impressive is the one near the village Sarbinowo.
Palace, farm and park complex in Dąbroszyn.
The palace. Build between 1680-1690. Initially, baroque and now neo-Gothic. Inside preserved historic plaster stucco, fireplaces and monochromatic wood panelling. Presently, the building is beeing redecorated.
Farm. Numerous farm buildings were build between 17th and 20th century.
The palace park. Divided into two parts by the road from Kostrzyn to Gorzów Wielkopolski, into the upper park and the lower park. In the lower one remained sculptures, destroyed Monument of Victoria, trees considered national monuments, among which ginko is especialy worth attention. There is Cecilia Pavilon in the upper park. The whole park constitutes a landscape park.
St. Joseph church in Dąbrozyn. This neo-Gothic church was build in the 80s of the 17th century. In the interior there is a mausoleum with an epitaphial monuments of Dąbroszyn property owners. Worth seeing are also historic, baroque baptismal font and sarcophagus of Hans Adam II von Schöening.
More information regarding history and monuments of Dąbroszyn may be found at www.dabroszyn.pl
Church of St. Mary of Częstochowa in Słońsk. The church was finished between 1520 and 1522. It was a church of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. In the interiors preserved interesting historic equipment like: Renaissance main altar, baroque pulpit and baroque baptismal font.
Ruins of palace of Sovereign Military Order of Malta in Słońsk. The presently existing palace was constructed between 1662 and 1667, it replaced a Gothic palace from the 14th century. From 1427 to 1945 it was a seat of the bailiff if the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. The palace burned at the beginning of the 70s of the 20th century.
Residential and farm buildings of Jamno, Głuchowo and Kłopotowo villages. Those villages were build in the 18th century during regulation and melioration works carried out in the valley of Warta River. Until today you may see here buildings with timber framed construction, typical in this region.
Brewery in Witnica. Founded in 1848. Until now in good condition remained the main production building and administrative building . The form of the building, applied materials and form of architectonical detail are a representative example of industrial architecture of the region. More information on the web site of Lubuski Konserwator Zabytków www.lwkz.pl
Pumping stations. They were build in the first decade of the 20th century. Their function is to pump water from the polders to the storage reservoir. We recommend to visit the pumping stations in Warniki (now district of Kostrzyn), Słońsk and Chyrzyno (next to the Warta Mouth National Park Headquarters).
The mill in Słońsk, located at Lenka (Ilanka) River, is truly worth seeing. It was build about 1900 is partialy driven by a mill wheel. Inside preserved nearly complete devices of which some having more than 100 years. The majority of machines was made by MIAG Braunschweig.
The church of St. Mary of Częstochowa in Oksza, was build between 1862 and 1863 as a Protestant church. The building is of a fraiming construction with brick filling, so called timber framing. More information about the church at www.lwkz.pl.